Karl Kueppers designed the first rotameter with a revolving float in 1908 in Aachen. After then, various float forms and glass tubes were added to improve the innovation. Karl Kueppers created a specific model within the glass tube to distinguish a symmetrical flow scale. The variable area flow meter is another name for the rotameter.
What is a Rotameter?
Rotameter is a flow measurement equipment that is dependable, simple, and inexpensive. This device is used to determine how a liquid or gas flows. A tapered tube runs through a moving internal float in this meter. Gravity flow meters, mechanical flow meters, and variable area flowmeters are used to describe rotameters.
Different components, such as a clear tube, scale, float, and transmitter, can be used to build a rotameter.
- The transparent tube has a conical form in the construction, with a scale that floats within it. This clear tube is quite useful for immediately examining the measurements.
- A float is a tiny object with exact dimensions that sits within the tube of a rotameter. The float shows the rate at which liquid flows down the tube, which can be made of plastic, glass, or metal.
- The flow measurements are displayed on this meter’s scale via a float.
- Transmitters are quite useful for accurately capturing flow data compared to directly seeing on the scale.
- A Float and a tapered tube are included, with the float positioned within the tapered tube. Nets are arranged through a pipeline at both ends of the device utilizing flanged connectors. In pipelines, rotameters are always attached vertically. A scale is accessible on the tube to immediately verify the flow rate readings.
What Is A Rotameter Used For?
The following are some of the uses for rotameter.
- Different industries employ rotameters.
- These are utilized in situations when a reliable air supply is necessary.
- When low pressure is required, this is utilized.
- Laboratories use it.
- Industries of process and oil
- The oxygen flow rate is measured with this device in the medical industry.
A flow meter measures a fluid’s or gas’s volumetric flow rate. Variable area flowmeters, mechanical flow meters, and gravity flowmeters are other names. Thus, this is everything about a rotameter and its interaction with applications.